1. Sports

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Falcons Burned by Another Virginia Tech Player

By September 24, 2007

Considering the events that have transpired over the last five months, you can bet the Atlanta Falcons will do a lot of checking into the character of any future Virginia Tech prospect before even considering selecting him in the NFL Draft. First, they were made to look like fools by the Michael Vick dogfighting scandal. Then on Sunday, cornerback DeAngelo Hall pretty much single-handedly cost the team its first win of the season.

In case you missed it, on the ensuing drive following a Falcons' go-ahead touchdown that gave the team a 17-10 lead, Hall had a meltdown of epic proportions that led directly to the Carolina Panthers tying the game, which they eventually went on to win.

On the first play of the drive, Hall was flagged for pass interference against Panthers receiver Steve Smith, whom he'd been jawing with all day. Showing his frustration on the next play, Hall shoved Smith, drawing a 15-yard personal foul. Then, after it appeared the Falcons had held the Panthers to a field-goal attempt, Hall picked up an unsportsmanlike penalty for continuing to direct trash talk at Smith. The Panthers were awarded an automatic first down, and capitalized by converting it into a 5-yard Jake Delhomme TD pass.

Hall then got into it with head coach Bobby Petrino on the sidelines and had to be pulled away by his teammates. Profootballtalk.com says there are rumors floating around that later Hall was roughed up by some of his teammates for blowing what was one of the few chances they will have of winning this year.

And you can't blame his teammates for being upset. I mean, how often is Joey Harrington going to resemble a good NFL quarterback? You don't want to squander rare opportunities like that when you get them. Who knows? This may have been their one shot at victory this year, and because Hall couldn't control his emotions or keep his mouth shut, they lost the game.

Photo: Doug Benc / Getty Images

Comments

September 24, 2007 at 1:47 pm
(1) Biggie Smalls says:

Adler you are being a jerk. Harrington is 10 times the man you are. Name one thing in your life you ever followed through on to the degree Joey has followed through. He finally has a coach and one receiver and is improving at a staggering rate at after inheriting the team weeks before the seasons started. Get your butt off the coach and play as port and I bet you will look pretty silly.

September 24, 2007 at 3:25 pm
(2) Madeline says:

I agree with the previous poster You are being a jerk and not giving credit where credit is due. The Falcons looked great yesterday, and a few BAD CALLS by a few BIASED refs cost them the game–I wouldn’t call Hall’s situation a meltdown, I would call it unscrupulous blind refs who made poor calls and cost the Falcons the game– Joey was great, Dunn was great, Roddy was great, Jerious Norwood was great, Abraham was great, Crumpler was great, and the rest of the team as well. I don’t blame Hall one single bit for what you term as a ‘meltdown’ which was only aggressive play that the refs used to cheat the Falcons out of a win with. THAT SIMPLE

September 24, 2007 at 3:31 pm
(3) football says:

Madeline,

This had nothing to do with biased officiating. Hall simply lost his cool and couldn’t control himself. He is completely to blame for the game-tying drive. And that is why head coach Petrino is set to issue “significant discipline” for his boneheaded play.

I also think this game says more about how overrated the Panthers are than how good the Falcons are.

September 24, 2007 at 4:33 pm
(4) Brat says:

Hall cost the Hokies a few key games with his mouth and poor plays and now is doing the same to the Falcons. He should have been benched after he got in the coach’s face.

September 24, 2007 at 8:01 pm
(5) HamptonHomer says:

Hokie Vick gave the Falcons plenty of warning signs…flipping off fans, the dope-hiding water bottle, Rolex-stealing posse, etc etc etc. Now Hokie D-Hall is doing the same thing. How do you think a wannabe program like VA Tech gets national ranking? They take any kid that can run a 4.4 40 regardless of his background. Jimmy Williams is no different. You heard it here first.

September 28, 2007 at 4:55 pm
(6) Cam says:

homer, u must be a disgruntled virginia fan or west virginia fan? your opinion means nothing because your as biased as those ref’s are haha. Hall probably lost his cool but so did steve smith? and im assuming your a virginia fan and if so your probably just mad cuz there isnt but 2 or 3 people on that whole team that runs a 4.4, so until you play a professional sport like deangelo hall does maybe you should keep the judgements to yourself

September 28, 2007 at 8:46 pm
(7) footballguru says:

Forgive me but I fail to see the connection here between the two players or incidents. One player engaged in Criminal and illegal activity (Vick). The other player engaged in unsportsmanlike conduct(Hall). While I am sure that in hindsight, Mr. Hall would probably agree that it probably wasn’t the smartest thing he has ever done and that his actions certainly didn’t help this team any. There certainly is a big difference between the two.

October 2, 2007 at 7:11 pm
(8) PhilaEaglesFan says:

Thank you footballguru. Since you have expressed my sentiments, I won’t be redundant, but didn’t similar incidences of illegal activities plague the Cowboys’ back in their hay day? I think many of their team members were racking up criminal records and they still seem to be America’s favorite team.

October 5, 2007 at 9:24 pm
(9) Hokie4Life says:

Alder,

“…you can bet the Atlanta Falcons will do a lot of checking into the character of any future Virginia Tech prospect before even considering selecting him in the NFL Draft.”

I will admit I am biased as I am an alum and current grad student of Tech. However, I must ask: Are you implying that all Hokies are trouble-makers? I would just like to point out a few notable players Tech has produced, i.e. Bruce Smith (though retired – holds the NFL record for most career quarterback sacks) and Carroll Dale (inducted into the Packers Hall of Fame in 1979).

I also agree with two previous posters – there is a difference between legal troubles and losing one’s cool. Though, I think there are more than enough examples of both throughout the league… T.O., Janikowski…

December 30, 2007 at 8:56 pm
(10) mark says:

there are a number of va tech players in the nfl right now who carry themselves professionally and whose actions reflect positively on tech’s program–andre davis, for example. one (or two) individuals shouldn’t be used to criticize an entire university. what about pac man jones and wv. are all the wv players–larry fitzgerald included–questionable because of the actions of one person? this article is stupid.

January 15, 2008 at 4:05 pm
(11) ron says:

What a stupid and one sided comment to make. As others have said you are either a WVU or UVA follower to write such a load of garbage. What about the other VT players in the NFL?

January 15, 2008 at 4:41 pm
(12) Yep says:

You are an idiot. What a incredible generalization

January 15, 2008 at 4:48 pm
(13) football says:

Guys, it wasn’t my intention to generalize all Virginia Tech players and I apologize if that’s the way I came off. However, I do think the Falcons will do more checking into the background of players they draft in the future whether they be Virginia Tech alum or from other schools.