Everything has fallen into place for the Chiefs and their gaudy 9-0 record this year. That won't last past this weekend.
The Broncos compiled their 8-1 record against a variety of cream puffs, milksops and twinkies. The Chiefs' schedule has been even easier.
Not only have they played the losers, they've played ailing losers, losers at half-strength.
Look at some of the quarterbacks they've played against recently:
- Jeff Tuel, an undrafted rookie making his first start.
- Career backup Jason Campbell.
- Case Keenum, another guy making his first career start.
- Terrelle Pryor, a great athlete, but a lousy quarterback.
- Ryan Fitzpatrick, another backup who may be the best of this weak lot.
And now, Denver quarterback Peyton Manning may be hobbled. I have a feeling his aggravated ankle injury is worse than he and the team are making out.
The Chiefs are big underdogs in most quarters. I don't think they'll get pounded by the Broncos because they match up well and their strengths can exploit the Broncos' weaknesses.
Still, this is the week the Chiefs get their first black mark on that sweet, unblemished record.
Unless they get lucky, which is their specialty.
- Getty Images